'Vishwaroopam' gets released in Karnataka under security
'Vishwaroopam' has released in close to 40 theatres in the state, including 15 screens in Bangalore.
Chennai: Kamal Haasan's controversial spy thriller 'Vishwaroopam' has resumed playing in Karnataka under tight police security.
The 95 crore film, which released in Karnataka on January 25, was banned from screening after the first show. Theatres were asked to stop screening fearing violence.
Now the film is back in theatres.
"We are showing the film under police security. We have four shows for today. The response has been good. And since police are patrolling, people are walking in fearlessly," an official of Urvashi Cinemas told IANS.
Some other cinemas playing the movie include Innovative Multiplex, Rockline cinemas, Gopalan cinemas, Vision cinemas and Manasa Digital cinemas.
The film has released in close to 40 theatres in the state, including in over 15 screens in Bangalore.
"Police gave us a go-ahead this morning. Most theatres have included an extra show in the evening to attract as many as possible to the cinemas," said H.D Gangaraju, the distributor of the film.
The movie, written, directed and produced by Kamal, has been released with the tag line "All Muslims are not terrorists and the characters depicted in this film are imaginary," said Bharathwaj, one of the movie patrons.
"Vishwaroopam" was originally set to release in Tamil and Telugu Jan 25. But a day earlier, the Tamil Nadu government imposed a two-week ban on the film after some Muslims complained that some scenes in the film portrayed the community in a bad light.
Actor-filmmaker Kamal, who also plays the lead in the film, has been urged to settle the issue amicably with the Tamil Nadu government Jan 28. This was after a judge saw the movie in a private screening Jan 26.
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- SAARC Summit Decision on Saturday, Pakistan Remains Defiant
- Pakistan to go Ahead With SAARC Summit Despite Boycott by Members
- SpaceX Chief Elon Musk Unveils Plans That Could Take Humans to Mars Very Soon
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Mouni Roy's Vacation Photos Will Give You Serious Travel Goals
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Might Get Snapdragon 821, 2K Display and 4GB RAM
- I've Never Been Stereotyped: Mouni Roy