Viswanathan Anand draws again, Carlsen ahead
Viswanathan Anand could not breach the solid defenses of Sergey Karjakin of Russia and played out another draw.
Wijk Aan Zee: World champion Viswanathan Anand could not breach the solid defenses of Sergey Karjakin of Russia and played out a draw while world number one Magnus Carlsen continued with his winning streak in the 75th Tata Steel chess tournament here.
In the tenth round, the Indian ace's efforts proved little to break Karjakin's solid defense right till the end of a rather simplified game. Anand was joined in second spot by Levon Aronian of Armenia and Hikaru Nakamura of United States after they scored victories in contrasting fashion against Wang Hao of China and Fabiano Caruana of Italy respectively.
Meanwhile, Carlsen stretched his lead to eight points as Erwin L'Ami of Holland proved no match for the rampaging Norwegian. With Anand, Aronian and Nakamura on 6.5 points, Hungarian Peter Leko joined Karjakin in fifth spot a full point behind while P Harikrishna slipped to joint seventh on five points, after suffering a shock defeat at the hands of Yifan Hou of China.
The Queen's Indian defense by Karjakin met with the Petrosian system and Anand secured a small advantage in terms of better space control. However, Karjakin was precise in his defense even though it looked at some point that Anand was increasing his advantage. Once Karjakin was able to get rid of his weak pawn on the queen side the draw was immediately agreed.
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Akhilesh Briefs Governor on Political Crisis
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: Shivpal Expels Akhilesh's Aide Pawan Pandey From Party
- Samajwadi Party Live: Mulayam Singh 'Ready In Principle' to Ally With Congress-RLD, Hints Shivpal Yadav
- SP Feud: Mulayam Has Cemented Akhilesh's Future By Playing it in Public