Warne named captain-coach of Jaipur IPL team
'Warne's experience will develop the spirit of Rajasthan Royals.'
New Delhi: Australian spin legend Shane Warne was on Wednesday named as coach and captain of Jaipur's Indian Premier League team which will be christened as 'Rajasthan Royals'.
"Shane Warne's extraordinary achievements on and off the field, combined with his unique understanding of the game, has made him a living sporting legend, leading to the strategic appointment as captain and coach of the Rajasthan Royals," franchise owner Emerging media said.
"It is this leadership and experience that will develop the success and spirit of the Rajasthan Royals. All the players will look up to Shane's commitment and astute cricketing brain," Emerging Media CEO Fraser Castellino said.
"Shane has been a winner throughout his career and has made it clear that he is coming to India to make the Rajasthan Royals win. His experience of over 15 years in international cricket will be invaluable to a team of players from different countries, cultures and ages."
Castellino said his team will have a strong support staff which will include former Indian team physiotherapist John Gloster, a Director of Coaching and a team manager.
Warne, who retired from cricket after last year's Ashes series, had been Test cricket's highest wicket taker before Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan overtook him. He has been captain of English county side Hampshire since 2004.
Warne said he was looking forward to lead the side and build a winning team.
"Our main goal is to build a winning 20/20 cricket team. I'm very happy with the list of players chosen in the auction. I'm looking forward to leading the Rajasthan Royals, to playing with the boys and to a successful season," the champion spinner said.
- Not Approached for 'Comedy Nights Bachao': Hrithik Roshan
- Krushna Abhishek Wants Healthy Competition With Kapil Sharma
- Gareth Bale Wants More European Glory after Champions League Win
- Real Madrid Beat Atletico on Penalties to Win Champions League
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Rock On 2 Trailer: Farhan, Shraddha, Arjun All Set to Bring Back Magik