Watch with Hindu god Venkateswara image costs Rs 27 lakh
Every piece of the limited edition watch sold globally will contribute a percentage of the sale proceeds to Balaji Institute of Surgery, Research and Rehabilitation for the Disabled.
Hyderabad: Swiss luxury watchmaker Century Times on Thursday unveiled a limited edition of wrist watches with lord Venkateswara's image engraved on them, each costing a staggering Rs 27 lakh. Company officials said only 333 pieces, studded with precious gems, rubies, emeralds and diamonds, are available.
Every piece of the limited edition lord Venkateswara watch sold globally will contribute a certain percentage of the sale proceeds to Balaji Institute of Surgery, Research and Rehabilitation for the Disabled (BIRRD), Asia's largest charitable orthopaedic hospital. Located in Tirupati, it is run by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD).
However, certain sections of society and lord Venkateswara's devotees have taken exception to the image being used in a commercial venture. TTD Executive Officer LV Subrahmanyam, who was present at the launch function, said the controversy and apprehensions are needless.
Noting that the lord's name and image is used by individuals out of devotion and also in commercial ventures, he stressed that TTD will not be associated with things which are profane. "There is a need for wisdom on the part of an entrepreneur where to use the lord's name and where not to use the lord's name. Today, you cannot have a legislation to this account," he said.
Asked how did the company choose lord Balaji, Philip WA Klingenberg, President and CEO, Century Times Gems Limited, said, "Actually, we did not choose Venkateswara. Venkateswara chose us. He chose us through Prithviraj, who is our importer for Century in India".
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan