Wawrinka downs Lorenzi in two sets to advance in Topshelf Open
Second-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka beat Paolo Lorenzi 6-3, 7-6 (8) Wednesday to advance to the quarterfinals.
Rosmalen: Simona Halep continued her strong recent form to humble top-seeded Roberta Vinci 6-0, 6-1 on Wednesday and advance to the quarterfinals of the Topshelf Open grass court tournament.
Halep is looking to make it two titles in as many weeks after beating Andrea Petkovic 6-3, 6-3 to win the inaugural Nurnberger Versicherungscup on Saturday in Germany, the 21-year-old Romanian's first WTA title.
Halep, ranked 45 in the world, had few problems against the No. 11-ranked Vinci, completing the rout in just under an hour to set up a quarterfinal against Lesia Tsurenko.
Second-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka reached the men's quarterfinals by beating Paolo Lorenzi 6-3, 7-6 (8), giving himself more time to acclimatize to playing on grass in the week before Wimbledon.
The Italian never managed to seriously threaten Wawrinka's serve until the 12th game of the second set, when he broke the Swiss to force a tiebreak. He then fought off three match points before finally succumbing 10-8 to the No. 10-ranked Wawrinka, who next plays Jeremy Chardy.
Second-seeded Dominika Cibulkova reached the women's last eight by coming from a set down to beat Anabel Medina Garrigues 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Earlier, the last two remaining Dutch players lost their second-round matches. Kirsten Flipkens beat Michaella Krajiceck in two hard-fought sets 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3), and Evgeny Donskoy overcame Robin Haase 6-4, 7-5.
Haase looked likely to force the match to a third set when he went 5-3 up in the second, but the Russian reeled off four straight games to book a quarterfinal match against Nicolas Mahut of France, who beat Andrey Kuznetsov 6-2, 6-4.
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed