WB: Court hearing begins in Park Street rape case
The victim, a 37-year-old Anglo-Indian mother of two, was allegedly gangraped at gun-point inside a car.
Kolkata: The in-camera hearing in the controversial Park Street rape case began on Saturday in a fast track court in Kolkata. "The hearing started today. The next hearing will take place on March 13-14," Deputy Commissioner (Detective department) Santosh Pandey said.
Earlier on February 19, the court had framed charges against Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan, Naseer Khan and Sumit Bajaj, who are in judicial custody, for raping a woman on the night of February 5 last year at upscale Park Street. Two other accused - Kadir Khan and Mohammed Ali - are still absconding.
The victim, a 37-year-old Anglo-Indian mother of two, was allegedly gangraped at gun-point inside a car. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign her government". However, then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen had cracked the case and apprehended three of the accused. Sen was subsequently shunted out as DIG (Training) and recently transferred as DIG, Darjeeling.
Earlier this year, the Supreme Court had denied bail to Bajaj and Nasser when they approached it seeking relief.
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- Digvijay Favours Dialogue With Pakistan, Insists Artists to Work in Cross Border Films
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh
- 2nd Test: West Indies Crumble After Misbah-ul-Haq's Near Miss