WB: Govt scraps allowances for 'political sufferers'
However, allowances given to freedom fighters would not only remain but will also improve.
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Saturday announced that allowances introduced by the erstwhile Left Front government for those who suffered during the Naxalite uprising in 1970s, would be discontinued. "Allowances given to political sufferers will be discontinued from now," Finance minister Amit Mitra said about the category 'political sufferers on post-Independent democratic movement' introduced by the Left government.
However, Mitra, who was speaking to reporters after a cabinet meeting, said that allowances given to freedom fighters would not only remain but also be improved. The list of freedom fighters would be studied diligently so that they were able to get allowances at higher rates, he said.
On the education front, the cabinet decided that any policies taken in respect of private universities in the state would be hosted on the web for a month to get feedback from the people and other stakeholders. Education minister Bratya Basu said that the state government would take steps to ensure that the interests of students in private universities were safeguarded as there were instances of harassment.
The education department would also give affiliation to schools under the Madhyamik board in panchayat areas, Basu said. The financial implications involved like payment of salaries would be borne by the panchayat department.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Jaguar F-Pace Launch in India on October 20, Price Starts at Rs 68.4 Lakh
- Idea Cellular Now Provides 1,865 Ports to Reliance Jio
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18