WB: Hotel staff attacked for delayed service, one killed
A group of tourists from Odisha attacked the hotel staff, killing one and injuring four others.
Kolkata: Enraged at the delay in serving food at a hotel in West Bengal's West Midnapore district, a group of tourists from Odisha attacked the hotel staff, killing one and injuring four others. 35 people have been arrested, police said on Tuesday.
"A bus of tourists from Odisha, who had come on a picnic to Belda, attacked the hotel staff following a heated argument late on Monday night.. Anil Kar was killed in the fight while three others have been hospitalised with serious injuries," said an officer of Belda police station.
"We have arrested 35 people from the picnic party. The body of the victim has been sent for post-mortem," said the officer.
The incident happened at Belda, which is around 160 kilometres from Kolkata.
"The picnic party came late into the night to our hotel and demanded food. We were about to close but on their insistence, we agreed. Serving over 40 people at a time is not easy and naturally there was some delay," said Amit Kar, brother of the victim and also a hotel employee.
"Later, they started abusing us for the delay which eventually led to an argument. Around 20 of them then attacked us. While my brother died on the spot, three from the staff are battling for their lives," he added.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- UN Aid Convoy in Syria Hit by Airstrike; UN Outraged
- Philippine Leader Takes Thinly Veiled Dig at US
- UN Aid Chief Warns of 'Unparalleled' Catastrophe in Aleppo