WB: 9 suspected Naxals become political prisoners
The 9 had been arrested by the NIA in connection with an illegal arms manufacturing case and were said to have been involved in the Lalgarh uprising.
Kolkata: A Kolkata court on Friday declared nine suspected Naxals as political prisoners. The nine men had been arrested by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in connection with an illegal arms manufacturing case and were said to have been involved in the Lalgarh uprising.
The West Bengal High Court had in August granted the nine the political prisoner status.
As per the West Bengal Correctional Services Act, political prisoners are entitled to separate jail cells, access to reading material and allowed meetings with relatives and advocates.
The NIA is likely to challenge the court order.
Recommended For You
- 'I Keep Doing It' Declares Wembley Hero Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One of the Season
- Iran's 'The Salesman' Wins Oscar As Farhadi Boycotts Ceremony
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game