Weapons of war have no place on our streets: Obama
"We should restore the ban on military-style assault weapons and a 10-round limit for magazines," he said.
Washington: "Weapons of war have no place on our streets," US President Barack Obama said on February 4 at an event with law enforcement officers in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where gun violence among teens has declined by 40 per cent. "No law or set of laws can keep our children completely safe. But if there's even one thing we can do, if there's just one life we can save, we've got an obligation to try," the president said in a bid to gather support for his proposals to tighten gun regulation.
Speaking at the Minneapolis Police Department Special Operations Center, Obama said there is broad agreement among Americans on "common-sense steps" such as requiring universal background checks for gun buyers and banning assault weapons.
"We should restore the ban on military-style assault weapons and a 10-round limit for magazines," he said. "And that deserves a vote in Congress - because weapons of war have no place on our streets, or in our schools, or threatening our law enforcement officers."
Those items were among the proposals from a White House task force appointed by Obama after the Dec 14 massacre of 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.
"We don't have to agree on everything to agree it's time to do something," the president said, hailing Minneapolis as a city that "came together" to adopt measures which have markedly diminished youth violence.
”We should restore the ban on military-style assault weapons and a 10-round limit for magazines,” he said.
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Dhanteras: Festival of Wealth
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't