Weightlifter Kavita fails drug test, banned
Kavita was hauled back from last month's Asian championships in Japan.
Mumbai: Weightlifter Kavita Devi has been banned for two years after failing a drugs test, India's weightlifting chief said on Monday.
Kavita, who competes in the women's 75kg, was hauled back from last month's Asian championships in Japan after the Indian weightlifting federation learned she had tested positive for a steroid during a World Anti-Doping Agency test.
"She was not inclined to take the 'B' sample test," the federation's president, Harbhajan Singh, told Reuters. "She has been (told) in writing by the International Weightlifting Federation that she will not be able to participate in any international or national competition for two years."
Indian lifters were thrust into the spotlight when positive tests in high-profile competitions led to a suspension in 2006.
India's Egyptian coach Magad Salama quit in February after a lengthy row with federation chiefs during which he claimed several of the country's senior lifters were taking performance-enhancing drugs.
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire in Kathua District, 1 BSF Jawan Injured
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 1 in Abu Dhabi
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Bihar Deputy CM Tejaswi Yadav Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- 31st October Movie Review: Live
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das