West Bengal: Protest staged against Barasat rape-murder
A college girl was reportedly dragged and raped in an under-construction building in Barasat on the outskirts of Kolkata.
Kolkata: People from diverse fields on Thursday staged a rally in the city to condemn the brutal rape and murder of a college student at Barasat in North 24-Parganas district and demanded that the culprits be brought to book immediately.
Celebrated actor and filmmaker Aparna Sen said it was very sad that West Bengal topped the list of states with most number of crimes against women.
Sen, who championed women's rights through her films, wondered what would be the situation in rural areas with no street lights if well-lit urban streets in the state had to endure this.
She demanded that the perpetrators of the Barasat crime be punished immediately. Others who had attended the rally included poet Sunanda Sanyal, playwright Bibhas Chakrabarty and actor Kaushik Sen.
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income