West Bengal: Protest staged against Barasat rape-murder
A college girl was reportedly dragged and raped in an under-construction building in Barasat on the outskirts of Kolkata.
Kolkata: People from diverse fields on Thursday staged a rally in the city to condemn the brutal rape and murder of a college student at Barasat in North 24-Parganas district and demanded that the culprits be brought to book immediately.
Celebrated actor and filmmaker Aparna Sen said it was very sad that West Bengal topped the list of states with most number of crimes against women.
Sen, who championed women's rights through her films, wondered what would be the situation in rural areas with no street lights if well-lit urban streets in the state had to endure this.
She demanded that the perpetrators of the Barasat crime be punished immediately. Others who had attended the rally included poet Sunanda Sanyal, playwright Bibhas Chakrabarty and actor Kaushik Sen.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Party
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner