Which sport got richer by how much in Budget 2013-14
The government seems to have major hopes attached to archery, boxing and shooting - increasing their budget by almost 100 percent.
New Delhi: The increase of Rs 214 cr in the 2013-14 budget allocated to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has been welcomed with open arms by sportspersons and sports lovers alike. On that note, it's interesting to throw light on which sport has been allotted more to spend to improve its performance in the next 12 months.
In the last budget, the initial allocation of Rs. 1152 to the Sports Ministry was later revised to Rs 1005.60 crore, but Finance Minister P Chidambaram decided to fill the Ministry's account with Rs. 214 cr more this year by reserving Rs 1219 crore for it. But for the lover of sports it boils down to who got what.
It might be ironical, but despite their respective federations suspended, archery and boxing have been among the biggest earners. Suggesting that the government has major hopes attached to archery, boxing and shooting. boxing's budget has been increased from Rs. 10.5 crore to Rs. 18.5 crorer, that of archery has been upped to Rs 10.5 crore from Rs. 5.5 crore last year and shooting will have Rs. 20 crore in the pocket compared to its earlier budget of Rs. 11.32 crore.
The sad loser has been hockey, possibly because the federation overshot its budget last year, which almost cost the Indian men's team its participation in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia. Hockey Indian has been given just Rs 10.5 crore.
Struggling to stay on the mat in Olympics, wrestling has been allotted Rs. 13 crore, athletics Rs 11.5 crore and badminton Rs 12 crore. Budget for judo and taekwondo has been increased by 75 percent whereas gymnastics, golf, kabaddi, rowing, sailing, squash, swimming, wushu and tennis will have 33 percent more to spend on their improvement. Billiards and snooker have been allotted Rs 94 lakh.
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Cauvery Row: Karnataka Firm, Calls Legislature Session to Decide on SC Order
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1