WikiLeaks backers bring down Zimbabwe sites
Cyber activists say they have brought down Zimbabwean government websites.
London: Cyber activists say they have brought down Zimbabwean government websites after the president's wife sued a newspaper for publishing a WikiLeaks cable linking her with illicit diamond trading.
President Robert Mugabe's wife Grace is suing a private newspaper for $15 million for publishing details from US cables on WikiLeaks saying she gained "tremendous profits" from illicit diamonds.
The activists, acting under the name Anonymous, said in a statement on their website: "We are targeting Mugabe and his regime in the ZANU-PF who have outlawed the free press and threaten to sue anyone publishing WikiLeaks."
The Zimbabwean government web portal www.gta.gov.zw was unreachable on Thursday, while the Finance Ministry's website, www.zimtreasury.gov.zw, displayed a message saying it was under maintenance.
Anonymous previously shut down the sites of Visa and Mastercard after they restricted payments to WikiLeaks.
The WikiLeaks site has enraged the United States and affected its relations with some countries by publishing hundreds of leaked confidential cables from US diplomats. It says it has a total of a quarter of a million cables.
Its next data release early next year is widely expected to centre on Bank of America.
The WikiLeaks founder and editor in chief, Julian Assange, is on bail and under house arrest in Britain preparing to fight extradition to Sweden, where authorities want to question him about alleged sexual offences.
- 'Upbeat West Indies Test side not impacted by bad results'
- Pakistan Court Releases 3 'R&AW Agents' For Lack of Evidence
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 3 in Abu Dhabi
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Amar Singh is Back Centre Stage; So is Trouble
- In Pics: A Day of High Drama at Samajwadi Party
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: A Brief Profile of the 4 Ministers Sacked by Akhilesh
- The Camps: Split Wide Open in UP's First Family, Who Stands Where
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party LIVE: Mulayam Singh Yadav expels Ram Gopal for 6 years from party; Shivpal Yadav says he conspired with BJP- FirstPost
- This co-operative society manager with Rs 8,000 salary is a crorepati - Pradesh18
- Boy tied to pole, mercilessly beaten for stealing cigarettes from a shop - Pradesh18