Williams ready for 2013 season with new car
The new car, FW35, is a culmination of more than 12 months of research and development.
Barcelona: The Williams Formula 1 team launched their 2013 car ahead of the second pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya here Tuesday. The FW35 is a culmination of more than 12 months' research and development by the team's technical departments in Grove and features improvements in several key areas over last year's race-winning FW34.
"Given the rule stability over the winter, I'm pleased with the gains that we've been able to make with this car. It's a better, more refined car than the FW34," said Williams' technical director Mike Coughlan.
Despite being an evolution of the 2012 car, more than 80 per cent of the FW35 is new. It has a new gearbox, new rear suspension, new radiators, a new floor, new exhausts, new bodywork, a new nose and a significant amount of weight has been saved as well, the statement said.
With many new parts on the car, the team has carried out a lot of reliability work over the winter. The gearbox alone has already completed 3200 km on the dyno, a lot of which was conducted in the form of five straight Grand Prix weekends.
From here, the car will continue to be developed throughout the year, beginning with an aerodynamic upgrade in time for the first race (March 17).
"The Coanda effect is going to be a big thing for us. There's been no rule clarification concerning this area of the car, so we'll work closely with Renault (engine supplier) to maximise the available gains. Use of the DRS is more restricted this year, so we'll take some resource away from that and focus on other areas."
Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas are the Williams' drivers for 2013.
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- Dear Zindagi First Look: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt Will Drive Your Midweek Blues Away
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18