Williams sisters among five past champs in US Open
Serena Williams and her sister Venus are among five past champions getting direct entry into the US Open women's main draw.
White Plains: Top-ranked Serena Williams and her sister Venus are among five past champions getting direct entry into the US Open women's main draw. They're also two of 10 Americans in the provisional field, the most of any country.
The US Tennis Association said on Thursday that 100 of the top 102 in the WTA rankings are in the field. Serena Williams has won four of her 16 Grand Slam singles titles at Flushing Meadows, including last year, while Venus Williams won the tournament in 2000 and 2001.
Other past champions in the field are Maria Sharapova, Sam Stosur and Svetlana Kuznetsova, along with two-time Australian Open winner Victoria Azarenka and recent Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli.
The hard-court tournament begins on August 26.
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Parched Movie Review: Nuanced Performances, Heartfelt Storytelling Make It a Must Watch
- Parched Trailer Gives Closer Look at Rajasthani Rural Womanhood
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Tannishtha Chatterjee Win Big at LIFFI