Wimbledon prize money increases by 40 percent
The All-England Club has announced a 40 percent increase in prize money for the 2013 Wimbledon Championships.
London: Wimbledon is increasing prize money by 40 percent this year and plans to build a retractable roof over Court No. 1. Total prize money for the Grand Slam event will be 22.6 million pounds ($34.4 million), an increase of 6.5 million pounds ($9.9 million) from last year, the All England Club said on Tuesday.
The club called it the largest single increase and biggest total prize fund in the history of professional tennis. The men's and women's singles champions will reach receive 1.6 million pounds ($2.4 million). Roger Federer and Serena Williams each received 1.15 million pounds ($1.75 million) for last year's titles.
The focus of the prize money increase will be for players who lose in the early rounds or in qualifying of the grass-court championships, which will be played from June 24 to July 7. Prize money will go up 60 percent for singles players who lose in the first three rounds. The purse for qualifying is going up by 41 percent.
Doubles players will receive a 22 percent increase in prize money. Meanwhile, the club said it intends to have a roof installed over Court No. 1 in time for the 2019 tournament. A retractable roof has been in place on Centre Court since 2009 to cope with the rain delays that have affected Wimbledon.
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Raj Thackeray Claims Victory, Rs 5 Cr Penance For Producers Employing Pak Artistes
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18