DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Wogan Josh: Britons tongue-tied over takeaway
Britons mispronounce dishes while ordering takeaway.
London: Once it was easy. Even after a few pints too many on a Friday night, Britons could pronounce their favorite take-away dish -- fish and chips.
But tastes have changed, and now exotic takeaways have become the nation's favorite foods-to-go, bringing with them a host of linguistic pitfalls.
Top of a survey of mispronounced dishes carried out this month among 8,783 customers by takeaway ordering service JustEat.co.uk was Japanese Katsu Curry, which most frequently becomes "Cat Soup Curry" when ordered over the phone.
Other howlers are "One Tonne Soup," Kung Fu Chicken" and "Wogan Josh," thanks to popular UK TV presenter Terry Wogan.
The 12 most common mistakes (with the correct name in brackets) were:
1. Cat Soup Curry (Katsu curry)
2. Kung Fu Chicken (Gung Po Chicken)
3. One tonne soup (Won Ton Soup)
4. Wogan Josh (Rogan Josh)
5. Hashish Kebab (Shish Kebab)
6. Porn Crackers (Prawn Crackers)
7. Pillow Rice (Pilau Rice)
8. Beef Jimmy Changa (Beef Chimichanga)
9. Chicken Jal Frenzy (Chicken Jalfrezi)
10. Crispy Acrobatic Duck (Crispy Aromatic Duck)
11. Chicken Ghost (Chicken Gosht)
12. Deep fried crispy man tongue (Deep fried crispy won ton)
Recommended For You
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere