Woman drives local train in Hyderabad
S Satyavati has become the first woman loco pilot of the South Central Railways.
Hyderabad: Yet another male bastion fell in Hyderabad on Women's Day on Thursday with a woman driving a local train of the South Central Railways (SCR).
S Satyavati became the first woman loco pilot of SCR when she independently drove a Multi Modal Transit System (MMTS) train. She piloted 'Matrubhumi Ladies Special Train' from Falaknuma to Lingampally suburban stations.
Satyavati joined as Assistant Loco Pilot in Bangalore in 1999, and was later transferred to Secunderabad division. She was promoted as Loco Pilot (Goods) in 2005 and had been working in shuttling duties on goods trains in and around Hyderabad area for the past few years, SCR sources said.
She completed MMTS training in January this year, and was found fit to run MMTS trains in the suburban sections as an independent loco pilot. Henceforth, she will be managing and driving MMTS trains singly, without Asst Loco Pilot.
"It was not difficult for me. I could do it," Satyavati told reporters, exuding confidence.
The passengers were pleasantly surprised on learning that they were driven by a woman. "We did not know that a woman is driving the train. It is a great thing. This proves that women have the ability to undertake difficult tasks," a woman passenger said.
Recommended For You
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"