Women's Hockey WC: India finish ninth
India beat South Africa 4-3 to claim ninth place while Australia defeated South Korea in the playoff for 5th place.
Rosario: Australia defeated South Korea 2-1 on Friday to claim fifth place in the women's field hockey World Cup.
It was some consolation for former champion Australia, which failed to reach the semifinals, having made the final in four of the past five World Cups.
In other playoff games on Saturday, New Zealand defeated China 3-0 for seventh place and India beat South Africa 4-3 to claim ninth. Japan defeated Spain 2-1 on Thursday for 11th place.
South Korea took a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute through Kim Young-ran. Australia leveled 10 minutes later, thanks to Casey Eastham, and Nicole Arrold scored the winner in the 68th.
Krystal Forgesson, Clarissa Eshuis and Charlotte Harrison scored for New Zealand. It was the Kiwis best finish in a World Cup or Olympics. China failed to score for the third straight match.
India also had its best finish in a World Cup since securing seventh place in 1978. Rani Rampal scored twice for India to bring her tournament goal tally to seven.
South Africa's 10th place was its best finish since 1998 when it finished seventh.
On Saturday, defending champion the Netherlands face Argentina in the title game. Germany and England play for third place.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1