World's oldest person marks 115th birthday in US
Cooper turned 115 yesterday in Monroe, Georgia.
Monroe: About 15 to 20 people celebrated the birthday of Besse Cooper, a US woman who is listed as the world's oldest person.
Cooper turned 115 yesterday in Monroe, Georgia. Cooper was declared the world's oldest in January.
In May, Guinness learned that Maria Gomes Valentin of Brazil was 48 days older. Valentin died June 21.
Cooper's daughter-in-law Edith Cooper said a small group of relatives and friends gathered at a Monroe nursing home, where Besse Cooper enjoyed two small slivers of her birthday cake and nodded with approval as musician Mike Cronic sang "Tennessee Waltz."
Cooper was born in Tennessee and moved to Georgia during World War I to find work as a teacher.
She has 12 grandchildren and more than a dozen great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. Her husband Luther died in 1963.
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- Would Choose Margarita With a Straw Over Any Big Budget Film: Sayani Gupta
- Coldplay- Chainsmokers Collaboration is Here and We Expected Something Just Like This
- Post Jolly LLB 2 Success, Makers Plan to Make a Sequel
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models