Yahoo India bags prestigious RedInk award in Journalism
The winners are Vivekananda Nemana's 'The Great Escape', Urmi Bhattacharjee's 'Inside Kaziranga's One-Horned Dream' and Jaimon Joseph's 'Why JP Singh is Every Indian Farmer's Best Friend'.
Yahoo India has announced that it has won three RedInk Awards for original features. RedInk is one of the largest, independent journalism awards in India. The competition includes all major news media - news papers, websites and television/cable channels. This year, Yahoo India was the only online media company to win the award.
The three winning features appeared on Yahoo Originals, a section powered by Grist Media, on Yahoo India News which is focused on high-touch content, through intensive storytelling and longform reporting.
These Yahoo Originals features won in two new categories introduced this year - Human Rights and Environment, and was a runner-up in the 'Science and Innovation' category.
Under the Human Rights category, Vivekananda Nemana's 16,000 word feature 'The Great Escape', on the massive evacuation of 900,000 people conducted in Odisha during Cyclone Phailin, won the first prize. Urmi Bhattacharjee's story on rhinoceros poaching in Assam, 'Inside Kaziranga's One-Horned Dream' aced the environment category. Jaimon Joseph's story on Varanasi farmer JP Singh, 'Why JP Singh is Every Indian Farmer's Best Friend' was the runner-up in the 'Science & Innovation' category.
Three more pieces from Yahoo Originals were shortlisted for the RedInk Awards 2014 in three different categories.
The winners were shortlisted from over 800 entries received across 75 online and print publications.
- Indus Water Treaty: India Can't Unilaterally Separate Itself, Says Sharif
- Pakistan Capable of Meeting Any Threat: Nawaz Sharif
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday