Yamuna's water level recedes, 10,000 people moved to relief camps
The MeT Department has said that no rain is expected in Delhi in the next 48 hours bringing relief to the people.
New Delhi: The government has set up 1,153 tents in relief camps for over 10,000 people across the capital after they were evacuated from low-lying areas which were flooded after Yamuna's water level rose.
Sixty-two boats with divers have also been pressed into service to rescue people. Army personnel, NDRF and mobile medical teams and water tanks have also been pressed into service to help the affected people.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) will be fumigating the tents once a day. Meanwhile, the water level in the Yamuna on Thursday stood at 206.50 m at 2 pm, which was 1.67 m above the danger mark, officials in the Delhi Disaster Management Authority said.
Water from the river on Thursday spilled on to the busy Ring Road and hindered traffic movement. Many areas in north Delhi's Kashmere Gate and neighbouring ISBT were also flooded as the Yamuna continued to be in spate.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has said that no rain is expected in Delhi in the next 48 hours bringing relief to the people who were evacuated from areas like Yamuna Bazar, Usmanpur, Bhajanpura and Shastri Park.
The Delhi BJP distributed relief material among people affected by floods in the national capital. Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel visited the relief camps where people living in the low lying areas near Yamuna have been shifted.
The water level in the Yamuna had gone up primarily due to release of around 11 lakh cusecs of water into the river by Haryana from its Hathnikund barrage in the last four days.
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- Trump Gains on Clinton, Poll Shows 'Rigged' Message Resonates
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Police Targeting DMK Cadres Over Rumours About Jayalalithaa's Health: Stalin
- Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot Teases Nintendo NX