Zardari discusses Saeed issue before India trip
Officials sources said the $10 million US bounty for Saeed necessitated the meeting of the top leadership.
Lahore: The issue of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) founder Hafiz Saeed, on whose head the US has offered a bounty of $10 million, came up for discussion during the talks Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari had with Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani and Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on the eve of his India visit.
Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, Interior Minister Rehman Malik and Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jillani were also present at the meeting on Saturday night.
Officials sources said the $10 million US bounty for Saeed necessitated the meeting of the top civil and military leadership at the Governor's House in Lahore.
Zardari on Sunday left for India for a day-long visit that has primarily been billed as a personal one for paying obeisance at the Sufi shrine at Ajmer, but will also see him having a luncheon meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Sources at Governor's House said that the President, during the Saturday night meeting, took the army chief and Prime Minister into confidence over his visit to India.
Presidential spokesman Farahtullah Babar said the security situation was discussed during the meeting.
Babar said the President held a separate meeting with the Prime Minister and army chief and discussed the search and rescue operation to save the lives of at least 100 soldiers trapped in the snow after a massive avalanche hit Siachen on Saturday.
Expressing grave concern over the incident, the President emphasised that all resources should be employed in the search and rescue operation.
- Live: No End to Samajwadi Party Crisis, Old Guard Meet CM Akhilesh
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Samajwadi Party Expels MLC Udayveer Singh, Mulayam Upset With Akhilesh
- Raj Thackeray Claims Victory, Rs 5 Cr Penance For Producers Employing Pak Artistes
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18