Know Your Spices: Culinary Uses, Health Benefits of Kalpasi
Kalpasi or black stone flower is a species of lichen used as spice in India.
Image for representational purpose only (Photo courtesy: Getty Images)
Kalpasi or black stone flower is a species of lichen used as spice in India. One of the ingredients in East Indian Bottle Masala, the spice is mostly used in dishes like nahari, Bombay biryani, Goan meat stews.
Alternatively known as daagar ka phool or patthar ka phool, this mystery flower is believed to be grown in some parts of Tamil Nadu and is an important ingredient in Chettinad food.
Its upper surface is dark green or black and whiter inside, Kalpasi has a strong earthy aroma and dry texture. It also has medicinal properties.
1. A good pain reliever, Kalpasi helps heal wounds.
3. It has antibacterial activity and is effective against protozoans.
4. It improves digestion and helps suppress respiratory disorders.
5. It tones up urinary tract and helps maintain body temperature.
1. With its mild aromatic flavour, Kalpasi is used to add aroma to soup preparations and also as a soup thickener.
2. It is often used in meat dishes.
3. Kalpasi is also used as food by many cultures around the world.
4. It is an essential ingredient in Goda masala or kala masala.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli & Co Sweat It Out at the Nets Ahead of Nagpur Test
- Student of The Year 2: Karan Johar Quashes Reports of Ishaan Khatter Featuring With Tiger Shroff In Film
- Virat Kohli Heaps Praise on 'Back-up' All-rounder Vijay Shankar
- Jurassic World 2 First Glimpse Sees Chris Pratt Treating Ancient Predators Like Pets
- Sonam Kapoor Makes a Splash at an Event with a Colorful Fashion Ensemble; See Pic