Manish Malhotra To Speak On Phulkari At Philadelphia Museum of Art
Manish Malhotra aims to put Indian craft on the global map.
Ace designer Manish Malhotra, who aims to put Indian craft on the global map with his creations, has been invited by the Philadelphia Museum of Art to speak on the craft of Phulkari -- an embroidery technique native to Punjab.
To be held on April 28, the conversation will be held on the sidelines of the Museum's ongoing retrospective spotlighting the Phulkari technique at their Joan Spain Gallery.
"Although Phulkari is deeply entrenched in the cultural fabric of Punjab, the details that define it make it a versatile craft. From flowy dupattas to saris and modern silhouettes -- Phulkari can be translated and transposed into the modern wardrobe with great ease.
"With such a profuse vocabulary, I do believe that Phulkari is a craft waiting to be discovered on the global platform," Malhotra, known for his extensive body of work in the Hindi film industry, said in a statement.
The designer's ensembles from his 2013 collection titled Threads of Emotion are also on display at the exhibition. Some of the outfits on display are gowns and jackets paired with cigarette pants.
This milestone closely follows the label's Summer 2017 Couture presentation using Chikankari earlier in March 2017.
Recommended For You
- South Africa vs India: Shardul, Saini Called in as Net Bowlers
- Dhadak: Jahnvi Kapoor, Ishaan Khatter's Much Anticipated Debut To Release On July 20
- Vodka Diaries Review: The Film Finally Reveals Itself To be a Waste of Time
- My Birthday Song Review: A Thriller That Messes With Your Head
- The Hidden Meanings Behind the Most Recognizable Fashion Brand Logos