Watching TV For Just 15 Minutes A Day Can Kill A Child's Creativity
This image is for representation purpose only. (Image Courtesy: Reuters Pictures)
London: Children who spend just 15 minutes or more a day watching their favourite cartoons on television may be at an increased risk of losing their creative minds as compared to those who read books or solve jigsaw puzzles, a study says.
"There was clear evidence that children came up with less original ideas immediately after watching television," said Sarah Rose, Lecturer at Staffordshire University in Britain," although adding "these effects disappeared after a short time."
However, "if children are less creative in their play, this could, over time, negatively impact their development," Rose said.
There is a belief that slow-paced programmes are more educational but our findings do not support this, Sarah said.
In the study, the team looked at the immediate impact of television on three-year-old's creativity. They compared children who watched -- Postman Pat, with those who read books or played jigsaw puzzles.
The children were tested for throwing up maximum original creative ideas.
The study is potentially useful to those who produce children's television shows, early year educators, as well as parents.
The findings were presented at the British Psychological Developmental Conference in Belfast, recently.
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Timeline of Criminal Defamation Case Filed Against Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18