Coronation Street Actress Jean Alexander Passes Away
Image: Getty Images
London Coronation Street legend Jean Alexander has died in hospital just three days after her 90th birthday.
The woman, known to millions as Hilda Ogden, passed away on Friday, reports mirror.co.uk.
She had been taken into the hospital on Tuesday, her birthday, after feeling unwell.
Her niece, Sonia Herald, 64, while opening up about how she received a phone call from the hospital breaking the bad news, said: "It is such a shock."
She told how Alexander had been taken poorly just a few days earlier as family and friends planned to gather to celebrate her 90th last weekend.
"She had been feeling a little poorly and had gone in for some tests," she said.
After a couple of days in the hospital, she was allowed back the care home, where she had been looked after since suffering a slight stroke in 2014.
Born Jean Hodgkinson, she received a 1987 BAFTA TV Award nomination for Best Actress and retired from acting in 2012. Her television debut was in the television police series "Z-Cars" and first appeared in Coronation Street in 1962 as landlady Mrs Webb. She started playing Hilda on July 8, 1964, finally retiring on December 25, 1987.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance