Dangal Ahead of Guardians of The Galaxy, King Arthur At Chinese Box Office
Dangal beats Hollywood films to top box office in China.
Image: Youtube/ A still from the trailer of Dangal.
Beijing Aamir Khan's Dangal rocketed to top spot in China with a box office collection of USD 72 million in two weeks, making it the first Indian film to win the top slot against Hollywood movies.
The film, on a man's dream of turning his daughters into wrestlers, has earned more than 487 million yuan (about USD 72 million) since its release on May 5, becoming the highest- grossing Indian movie in China, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Disney and Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2 landed at the second place for the week, taking in 213 million yuan. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword took third place, earning 36 million yuan.
Rounding out the top five was domestic action film Dealer Healer, which grossed 28 million yuan.
Dangal was a massive success at a time when India-China relations faced turbulence over a host of issues. India has skipped China's high-profile Belt and Road Forum attended by 29 heads of state and governments.
Recommended For You
- Yuvraj Singh, Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah Sweat it Out in the Gym With Karthik, Chahal and Jadhav
- India vs Sri Lanka: Kohli Not at Fault For Late Declaration
- IFFI 2017: Janhvi, Sridevi, Shahid Steal The Show With Their Stylish Appearances
- Historic First For Indian Pacers at Eden Gardens, as Spinners Draw Blank
- The Journey of Manushi Chhillar: From Changing Lives To Winning The Crown