Family Members Are Better Judges Than CBFC: SS Rajamouli
A censor board panel of mere six people cannot decide what 130 crore people of India should watch and what not, popular filmmaker S.S. Rajamouli said in the wake of the ongoing controversy over certification of the film ‘Udta Punjab’.
New Delhi: A censor board panel of mere six people cannot decide what 130 crore people of India should watch and what not, popular filmmaker S.S. Rajamouli said in the wake of the ongoing controversy over certification of the film ‘Udta Punjab’.
The ‘Udta Punjab’ controversy has brought forward many filmmakers, actors and, most of all, common people who have questioned the role of the censor board. Even the Bombay High Court has pulled up the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) for insisting on 'censoring' films instead of 'certifying' them.
While the CBFC at one point demanded 89 cuts in the film, its Revising Committee brought down the number to 13.
Many known celebrities from the entertainment industry have come out in strong support of the film while demanding the removal of CBFC chief Pahlaj Nihalani.
Asked whether CBFC is restricting a filmmaker's creative abilities, the ‘Baahubali: The Beginning’ director told IANS: “Yes, they are. My sympathy stays with the filmmakers. The simple logic which everyone is asking is how a board of six members can decide what 130 crore people should watch and what not.
“That's not logical (what they are doing). A father or a mother or a family head ... is a better judge about what he or she and children can see and what they should avoid. Family members are better judges than those six people.
“They (CBFC) are restricting them. Personally, I haven't faced much problems for the kind of films that I make. But there are so many diverse filmmakers who want to make different kind of cinema. They shouldn't be restricted,” he added.
‘Udta Punjab’, directed by Abhishek Chaubey, is expected to release on June 17.
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 8: Celebrities Get Malik Status, Indiawale Fight Among Themselves
- Philippines' Duterte Sparking Distress Around the World, Says US
- Salman Khan's Recent Photo With Nephew Ahil is Just Too Heart-warming
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season