Not Worshipping Nancy Reagan Helped me Understand Her Character: Cynthia Nixon
Image: Getty Images
Los Angeles: Sex & the City star Cynthia Nixon says she found it easy portraying Nancy Reagan in new TV movie Killing Reagan because she wasn't a big fan of the woman or her husband.
The actress surprised many when she signed on to play the late First Lady in director Jon Lurie's retelling of the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, because she's such a staunch Democrat - and the Reagans were
But Nixon said the fact that she didn't worship Nancy from afar helped her get into the role, reported Entertainment Tonight.
"In some ways maybe it's harder to play someone you actually worship because you feel the distance between you and
them is so great," she said.
"There's liking someone and then there's disapproving of them. Let's say you're playing a character that you disapprove of - one of the dangers is that you condescend to that character and you do a more caricature-y version of them because you don't respect them."
It's not the first time the actress has portrayed a First Lady - she played Eleanor Roosevelt in the 2005 TV movie Warm Springs.
Killing Reagan, the adaptation of Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard's book Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency, will air in America later this month. Tim Matheson portrays Ronald Reagan in the TV movie.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Malayalam Actor Prithiviraj Writes Powerful Post Apologising for Misogyny in Films
- Oscars 2017: 20 Lesser Known Facts About the Most Prestigious Film Awards