Salman Khan Works Towards Open Defecation-Free Mumbai
Handling over of public toilets by bollywood actor Salman Khan at Goregaon East. (Image: Yogen Shah)
Mumbai: Superstar Salman Khan has become part of The Clean India mission and has joined forces with Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation and 'I love Mumbai' foundation to make Mumbai open defecation-free.
On Friday, Salman, along with BMC chief Ajoy Mehta, and powered by Rahul Kanal's 'I love Mumbai' foundation, Sahib Realty and Sach Ishaan, handed over public utility toilets at Madras Pada, Aarey Milk colony, to the residents of the area to combat its open defecation problem.
"It feels good, but it's just a beginning. I think there are 3,000-plus houses where each house has six to eight people. So as many existing toilets were there, we just rebuilt them and gave them water connection.
"In 3,000-plus houses, there were only 36 toilets. So there is a lot of scope. We will get permission to make toilets in their houses, given that they have space in their houses," said Salman.
Mehta expressed his gratitude to Salman, who also paid for the utility toilets from his own pocket.
Last year, Salman was named ambassador for the BMC's anti-open defecation campaign in tune with the Centre's ‘Swachh Bharat' Mission.
Recommended For You
- West Indies vs India 2017 Live Cricket Score: Bhuvi Removes Powell, Jason
- Jaguar Teases E-pace, to Make Global Debut on July 13th
- 3rd T20I: England Beat South Africa by 19 Runs, Take Series 2-1
- Matin Rey Tangu Joins SRK, Salman Khan At Baba Siddique's Iftar party
- Srikanth Beats Olympic Champion Chen Long to Win Fourth Superseries