Psy knocked from top of Korean charts by 63-year-old singer
Cho Yong-pil has been a fixture of Korean pop music since 1975 with his electronic music and ballads.
Seoul: South Korean rapper Psy, whose latest video 'Gentleman' tracked global megahit 'Gangnam Style' by going viral on the Internet, has been knocked from the top of the music charts in his native country by a 63-year-old easy listening pop singer.
'Gangnam Style', which holds the YouTube record for most views with more than 1.5 billion, catapulted the sunglassed Korean with the garish jackets to world stardom and made him one of the best-known faces to grace the growing K-pop music scene.
But Cho Yong-pil, who has been a fixture of Korean pop music since 1975 with his electronic music and ballads, took over the top spot in Korea with 'Bounce,' according to both the daily and weekly charts on Naver, Korea's top Internet portal.
Fans lined up to buy 'Hello,' Cho's first album in a decade, when it went on sale earlier this week, and packed a stadium concert on Tuesday with people screaming his nickname of 'Oppa' - a word used by Korean women for older men that Psy took to the world with the refrain 'Oppa Gangnam Style'.
Cho's songs took the top 10 places on the daily charts, pushing 'Gentleman' to no. 13, and Psy had to settle for second place on the weekly charts.
But 'Gentleman' surged to fifth place on the Billboard Hot 100 this week and has racked up over 220 million views on YouTube after smashing the record for first-day views for songs.
Psy told reporters he had nothing but respect for the veteran crooner, noting that Cho had praised him at a Tuesday news conference.
"I couldn't be happier, although getting on the Billboard chart also makes me really grateful," Psy told reporters on Thursday prior to leaving for the United States.
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor