Shakira donates $400,900 to rebuild Haiti school
The singer pledged to rebuild the Elie Dubois school in Port-au-Prince
London: Singer Shakira has reportedly donated $400,900 to rebuild a school damaged in an earthquake in Haiti.
The "Hips Don't Lie" hit-maker had pledged to rebuild the Elie Dubois school in Port-au-Prince shortly after the disaster hit the country in January 2010. Her Barefoot Foundation will team up with the Architecture for Humanity charity in the endeavour.
"I'm convinced the key to achieve a dignified future for the Haitian people is through education," dailystar.co.uk quoted her as saying.
"I'd like to say to the girls that this is an enormous opportunity that life is offering you - education. So make the most of it because I'm sure you can achieve any of your dreams," she said.
Shakira visited Haiti earlier this week and announced a deal with the Inter-American Development Bank, which will match her donation to rebuild the education facility.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology