British Athletes Celebrate Rio Olympics Success in London
Britain Olympics - Team GB Homecoming Parade. (Reuters)
London: British Olympians and Paralympians marked their successful run at the Rio Games at a celebration in London's Trafalgar Square on Tuesday.
Crowds attending the "Heroes Return" event waved flags and cheered when athletes such as gold medallists boxer Nicola Adams and gymnast Max Whitlock took to the stage in the central London square.
"Team GB" won 67 medals in Rio de Janeiro, including 27 gold, coming in second in the medals table after the United States. The "Paralympics GB" team won 147 medals, including 64 gold, and came in second after China.
"Team GB and Paralympics GB, you smashed it," London mayor Sadiq Khan told the athletes at the event. "We are now a sporting superpower."
On Monday, the athletes took part in a street parade in the city of Manchester.
Recommended For You
- India Lose 2-3 Against Malaysia, Crash Out of HWL
- Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Test Drive Review - Lone Survivor
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Ahead of Tubelight Release, Know More About Salman Khan’s Biggest Hits
- 2-Minute Exercise: Gauahar Khan Talks About The Benefits of Squats