Saurav Ghosal wins Kolkata International squash
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Kolkata: Home favourite Saurav Ghosal put up a dazzling display to down top seed Marwan Elshorbagy of Egypt in less than an hour to clinch the JSW Indian Squash Circuit Kolkata International here on Sunday.
With a boisterous crowd support, Ghosal was on fire from the first serve, setting a punishing pace that had the bigger player scrambling to keep up as he won 11-7, 11-2, 11-7 in minutes.
Ghosal was aided by a couple of strokes in the first game, and spent the next two keeping the higher ranked Elshorbagy from getting in his shots.
As the Egyptiqn grew more frustrated, his game saw more errors, and while he gave Ghosal some trouble with his lengths, could not manage to get a rhythm going against the local favourite.
Ghosal took home his first 35k tournament win on home turf to uproarious applause.
"I'm obviously extremely happy to win a USD 35000 final after being in the finals in two months," Ghosal said after the match.
"Doing it in my own club, in my own city is extra special. Beating two top-15 players, Stephen in the semi-final and Marwan in the final, is something I can be proud of.
Thanks to sponsors JSW, Reliance, and the club and the organisers for making it a great event for PSA players," he concluded.
Recommended For You
- Ashwin Says March 30 Will be Remembered as 'World Apology Day'
- Films That Prove Nagesh Kukunoor is The Ultimate Storyteller of His Own Genre
- Alia, Anushka, Kangana And Priyanka Have This One Thing In Common
- Samsung Galaxy S8 And Galaxy S8+ Launched, Shipping Starts April 21
- Looking For a Solution For Everything Construction Related?