DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
187 candidates in fray for 30 Puducherry seats
Of the 378 nominations filed, as many as 100 were rejected during scrutiny.
Puducherry: A total of 187 candidates are in the fray for the April 13 Puducherry Assembly elections, as revealed on Wednesday, the last day for withdrawal of nominations. Of the 378 nominations filed, as many as 100 were rejected during scrutiny. With 91 candidates withdrawing their nominations, a total of 187 candidates are now in the fray for the 30 Assembly seats, an official release said.
Notable contestants are Assembly Speaker R Radhakrishnan, Chief Minister V Vaithilingam and all his ministerial colleagues -- M O H F Shahjahan, M Kandasamy, A Namassivayam, E Valsaraj and Malladi Krishna Rao (all Congress). Former Chief Ministers N Rangasamy (All India NR Congress) and R V Janakiraman (DMK) are also among the contestants.
Of the total 30 seats in the Union Territory, Puducherry region has 23 segments while Karaikal has five. Mahean enclave in Kerala and Yanam an enclave in Andhra Pradesh have one seat each.
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Virat Kohli and Co Arrive in London
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere
- Should Have Been Picked to Play in IPL Final, Says Harbhajan Singh