2G auction: UPA the first govt to celebrate defeat, says BJP
The BJP said low bidding has vindicated the stand of the CAG that not going for auctions in 2008 had led to a huge loss.
New Delhi: In a scathing attack on the government on the 2G spectrum auction issue, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday said low bidding has vindicated the stand of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) that not going for auctions in 2008 had led to a huge loss. It said the wrong policies of United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government were to be blamed for low collections.
"This must be the first government of the world which is celebrating its defeat. The auction for 2G which did not yield the desired amount is failure of the UPA government. But instead of accepting its own follies it is blaming the CAG, CVC, the Supreme Court and everybody else," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
Rising to the defence of the CAG, that BJP said the attack on him by the UPA ministers is part of the same conspiracy to clip its wings by making it a multi-member body.
"CAG had estimated losses for 2007 in his report. Mishandling of the economy by the UPA government in the last five years has deterred several investors... Our Indian investors are now investing abroad," Javadekar said.
The BJP plans to keep this issue alive and will raise it in the forthcoming Parliament session to put the government on the mat. "It is sad that this government is attacking all institutions and trying to make CAG look responsible for the low bidding. It is doing so because it is neck-deep in corruption," Javadekar said.
Javadekar said Telecom minister Kapil Sibal should clarify why the government did not go for auction in 2008. "In five years you have destroyed the whole economic momentum.... To say that lower bidding shows their first come first serve policy is right is a flawed argument," he said.
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits