2G: Chacko to move resolution for extension of JPC beyond May 10
Sources say that the BJP has agreed to the extension of the JPC beyond May 10.
New Delhi: Chairman of the joint Parliamentary Committee on the 2G scam PC Chacko is likely to move a resolution in the Lok Sabha seeking extension of the JPC beyond the Budget Session. Sources say that the BJP has agreed to the extension of the JPC beyond May 10.
After Lok Sahba Speaker Meira Kumar expressed her inability to remove him as JPC Chairman as demanded by 15 opposition members of the committee, PC Chacko had started contacting members to hold a meeting.
With the term of the Committee coming to an end on May 10 along with the end of the Budget session, Chacko is most likely to seek an extension to reach a conclusion as amid divergent views, the panel would not be able to adopt the draft report before Parliament is adjourned sine die, the sources said.
The fresh extension could be till the beginning of the Monsoon session of Parliament which is likely to begin around July 23.
Fifteen members from Opposition parties including from former UPA allies DMK and Trinamool Congress, had earlier written separate letters to the Speaker contending that they have "no confidence" in the JPC Chairman and had appealed to her to immediately remove him. They had also rejected the draft report "in toto".
With numbers not on his side, Chacko is unlikely to rush with the adoption of the report. While SP has not sought Chacko's removal, it has made it clear that till Raja is not called as a witness, it would not support the report. SP has one member in the panel. BSP, with two members, is likely to side with UPA.
(With additional information from PTI)
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- Dear Zindagi First Look: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt Will Drive Your Midweek Blues Away
- SRK, Alia Bhatt Tease Fans With Dear Zindagi Tweets
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- BSF Says 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist Killed in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18