2G scam: Probe against Maran complete, CBI tells SC
CBI said it is not getting cooperation from Malaysian authority in its probe in Aircel-Maxis deal involving DMK leader Maran.
New Delhi: The CBI has completed its probe against former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran and others in a 2G scam case relating to Aircel-Maxis deal, the agency told the Supreme Court on Wednesday. The agency told the court that it will be approaching the government seeking financial sanction for evaluation of some properties in connection with the case.
CBI said that it is not getting cooperation from Malaysian authority in its probe in Aircel-Maxis deal involving DMK leader Maran but said it will go ahead in the case on the basis of material and evidence available to it. A bench of justices GS Singhvi and KS Radhakrishnan then directed the agency to make reference to the Centre within seven days for taking the financial sanction. It also directed the Centre to take a decision on the issue within two weeks.
The bench said that already more than a year has passed after registering the case and the agency must bring the case to a logical conclusion. "This matter must be brought to an end to a logical conclusion," the bench said while posting the case for hearing on August 1.
Maran has been accused of forcing Chennai-based telecom promoter C Sivasankaran to sell the stake in Aircel in 2006 to a Malaysian firm Maxis Group owned by Kuala Lumpur-based business tycoon T Ananda Krishnan. The agency in July 2011 had placed a status report in the court stating that during 2004-07 when Maran was telecom Minister, Sivasankaran was coerced to sell the stake in Aircel to Maxis Group.
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Don't put Indo-Pak in Same Group of International Tournaments: BCCI
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- US Now has Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy