42 cases of paid news detected during Karnataka polls: EC
The Commission also seized a total of Rs 21.44 crore cash during the campaigning for the elections which was held on Sunday.
New Delhi: At least 42 cases of paid news were detected and over Rs 21 crore in cash and liquor worth Rs 7.79 crore seized during Karnataka Assembly elections, the Election Commission said in New Delhi on Sunday.
The Commission reviewed 76 suspected cases of paid news during the campaigning for the Karnataka elections and 61 notices were issued, a senior EC official said.
"Out of this, the Commission decided that 42 cases were paid news," the official said.
The highest number of 11 cases of paid news were reported from Dakhsin Karnataka district, he said.
The Commission also seized a total of Rs 21.44 crore cash during the campaigning for the elections which was held on Sunday. Over 11 lakh litres of alcohol worth around Rs 7.79 crore was also seized.
"The polling was peaceful," said Deputy Election Commissioner Alok Shukla.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Post Jolly LLB 2 Success, Makers Plan to Make a Sequel
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology