42 cases of paid news detected during Karnataka polls: EC
The Commission also seized a total of Rs 21.44 crore cash during the campaigning for the elections which was held on Sunday.
New Delhi: At least 42 cases of paid news were detected and over Rs 21 crore in cash and liquor worth Rs 7.79 crore seized during Karnataka Assembly elections, the Election Commission said in New Delhi on Sunday.
The Commission reviewed 76 suspected cases of paid news during the campaigning for the Karnataka elections and 61 notices were issued, a senior EC official said.
"Out of this, the Commission decided that 42 cases were paid news," the official said.
The highest number of 11 cases of paid news were reported from Dakhsin Karnataka district, he said.
The Commission also seized a total of Rs 21.44 crore cash during the campaigning for the elections which was held on Sunday. Over 11 lakh litres of alcohol worth around Rs 7.79 crore was also seized.
"The polling was peaceful," said Deputy Election Commissioner Alok Shukla.
- Pakistani Artistes Not Terrorists, They Have Visas: Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- PM Narendra Modi to Review Border Situation in CCS Meet
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution