AAP Celebrates 'Jashn-e-Sarso' To Oppose GM Mustard
A file picture of farmers demonstrating during a protest against genetically modified (GM) crops in New Delhi.(Photo: Getty Images)
New Delhi: The Aam Admi Party (AAP) government on Sunday celebrated 'Jashn-e-Sarso' festival to express it opposition to GM mustard, which awaits clearance from Centre's Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC).
The ruling AAP's position on GM mustard assumes significance in light of the party's aggressive bid to capture political space in Punjab which goes to polls next year.
Interestingly RSS affiliated Swadeshi Jagran Manch also shared stage with the AAP government in protest against GM Mustard.
Delhi minister Kapil Mishra, who has been given the interim charge of Food and Civil Supplies Department, said the Delhi government plans to send public feedback and videos opposing GM mustard to the Centre.
"The Delhi Government stands by the farmers and consumers of this country....It is heartening to see the Bhartiya Kisaan Union and Bhartiya Kisaan Sangh, who have joined hands with us in opposing GM Mustard. I welcome their support for this Jashn-E-Sarson, and appreciate their stance in choosing what's right over what's easy,” said the Delhi Minister.
"The Swadeshi Jagran Manch has taken the difficult path as well to fight for their India-centric economic policy, even if it means opposition of the central government under the BJP. I congratulate them for their large-heartedness towards national food safety and security," Mishra said.
The Delhi minister said the struggle for GM Mustard is not "partisan" and AAP stands with the farmers and consumers of India.
"I appeal to every political, spiritual and religious leader to oppose GM mustard and stand by our farmers. I ask Baba Ramdev ji, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and Mohan Bhagwat to fight this menace, which will destroy India's organic mustard. India should unite for Sarson," an official statement said.
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'