Queue not cast in stone in Kasab's case: Cong
Congress says there is no reason why Kasab's death sentence will be delayed as the queue is not set in stone.
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday said that there is no reason why Ajmal Amir Kasab's death sentence will be delayed as the queue is not set in stone.
"As far as Kasab's case is concerned there is a difference from other cases. In Kasab's case queue is not cast in stone. This if we assume that Kasab reaches the clemency line," said Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi.
Singhvi said the fears that Kasab's death sentence would be delayed as he would appeal the verdict and his sentencing in higher courts, and before the President of India.
"There's a concern because there's a queue system. Twenty one or 22 out of that queue we have inherited from NDA. There's no reason for delaying anything. Efforts are being made to clear the backlog. But equally a process has to be followed. I don't at all subscribe to the view that Kasab is cast in stone in any queue," he said.
Bharatiya Janata Party has been hinting that Kasab's death sentence would not be carried out anytime soon. Party President Nitin Gadkari told the media in Panaji that with the UPA in power, he was "not sure" if Kasab would be hanged.
"I am not sure. Afzal Guru (convicted for the December 2001 attack on Parliament) was sentenced to death and he is still there, and so are many others," Gadkari sad.
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment
- 2nd Test: Fit-Again Younis Khan Leads Pakistan's Charge Against WI
- Seven Pakistani Rangers, One Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border: BSF
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18