Advani demands Pak temple renovation
Now in ruins, Sharada Temple in Pak occupied Kashmir had been a site of a Buddhist university in ancient times.
New Delhi: Pakistan should renovate Sharada Temple in the Pak-occupied Kashmir (PoK) on the lines of Katasraj Temple near Lahore, said senior BJP leader L K Advani on Wednesday.
Adi Shankaracharya is believed to have visited "Sharada Peeth" dedicated to Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning, during his travels across India.
Now in ruins, Sharada Temple had been a site of a Buddhist university too in ancient times.
Appreciating the Pakistan government's initiative to renovate the ancient Katasraj Temple, Advani, during his meeting with Sardar Abdul Qayyum, the former Prime Minister of PoK, said "fair and just treatment" of Hindus in Pakistan "would go a long way in smoothening the ongoing peace process with India."
"The political leaders in Pakistan and Pak-occupied Kashmir should urge the government to renovate the historic Sharada Temple near Muzaffarabad, the capital of PoK," as quoted by PTI, Advani said.
"Restoration of this temple and allowing Hindu pilgrims to go there would be one of the confidence-building measures between the two parts of Kashmir," he said.
Advani told the visiting leader BJP has "taken due note" of his recent statements calling for a peaceful resolution of the Kashmir issue.
"Pakistan must ensure complete cessation of cross-border terrorism aimed against India and dismantling of the infrastructure of terrorism, both on its own soil and in Pak-controlled territory," he told the PoK leader.
- India, New Zealand Sign Three Agreements
- New Zealand PM Arrives, Modi Likely to Seek Support on NSG Entry During Meet Tomorrow
- PM Modi Warns of Action Against Those Who 'Snatch' Tribal Rights
- Celebrities Send Diwali Greetings To Jawans Following PM Modi's #Sandesh2Soldiers Campaign
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar