AIADMK front demands transfer of Madurai cop
The AIADMK demanded EC to transfer a top police official against whom it had taken action during past by-elections.
Madurai: The AIADMK-led alliance candidates in the city on Tuesday demanded that the Election Commission transfer a top police official here against whom it had taken action during past by-elections in the district.
In a petition to the Election Officer, the candidates of the alliance in four city constituencies for the April 13 assembly polls said Assistant Commissioner of Police (Intelligence) Kumaravel was transferred during the by-elections in Madurai District in the past but had come back to the same post after the polls.
They said as per regulations if the EC had taken action against an official during previous election, he should be transferred during the subsequent elections, and should not be given election work. "The ACP is fully backing the ruling party and hence he should be transferred," the petition said.
Sellur Raju and A K Bose (AIADMK), Annadurai (CPM) and Sundararajan (DMDK), who are contesting the four constituencies in the city, submitted the petition.
Already, the Madurai District Collector, Superintendent of Police and Police Commissioner had been transferred by the EC on March 19 along with three other collectors and several IPS officers.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology