UP: Dimple Yadav elected unopposed from Kannauj
Akhilesh Yadav's wife was elected unopposed as both candidates in the fray against her withdrew their nominations.
New Delhi: Dimple Yadav, wife of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday was elected unopposed from the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat with both candidates in the fray against her withdrawing their nominations for the by-election.
Dashrath Singh Shankwar (Samyukt Samajwadi Dal) and Sanju Katiyar (independent), both withdrew from the fray on Friday, District Electoral Officer Selva Kumari J said.
After Congress and BSP decided against fielding their nominees and the BJP candidate failed to file his nomination papers at the last minute, Dimple was expected to get a walkover on the seat vacated by her husband Akhilesh Yadav when he became the chief minister and was elected to the Legislative Council.
She filed her nomination papers on Tuesday. She had suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Congress' Raj Babbar in the by-polls for the Firozabad Lok Sabha seat in 2009.
The Congress had opted not to contest the election in Kannauj saying it did not field its candidate even in 2009 elections and the BSP had decided to eep away from the bypoll alleging the ruling party of continuing with its tradition of nepotism by fielding Dimple.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- 10 Steps India Took Post Uri Terror Attack to Expose and Isolate Pakistan
- India's Claim of Surgical Strikes 'Fabrication of Truth': Pakistan
- Don't Take Our Peaceful Intent for Weakness: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army Avenges Uri With Surgical Strikes Across LoC, Pakistan Denies
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms