DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Proposing PM's name for President a gimmick: Left
The Left has also said that they will never support the candidature of former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee.
New Delhi: The Left on Wednesday rejected the candidature of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee for the presidential poll, which were proposed by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh.
The Left also said that it won't support any candidate proposed by the Congress and its allies.
"We are opposed to any candidate put up by the Congress and its allies," said CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta.
When asked about the proposed candidature of former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee, Dasgupta said he was "a strict no".
The CPI leader further said that the proposal of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's name for President by Banerjee and Yadav was nothing but a political gimmick by the Congress party.
He further said, "We will met and decide but we cannot support the Congress on presidential poll."
Dasgupta, however, did not speak on the candidature of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, which was also proposed by Banerjee and Yadav.
Recommended For You
- Big B Celebrates 40 Years of Amar Akbar Anthony with an Adorable Photo
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Bangladesh vs Pakistan, Champions Trophy Warm-up, Live From Birmingham
- Champions Trophy 2017: Yuvraj Suffering from Fever, Says Reports
- Qualcomm India Roadmap: More For Indian Smartphone Users