Ex-Akali Dal minister Bibi Jagir Kaur gets bail
Bibi Jagir Kaur was found guilty of forcing her daughter Harpreet to undergo an abortion in 2001.
New Delhi: Former Punjab Minister and Akali Dal leader Bibi Jagir Kaur got bail on Thursday in criminal case against her teenaged daughter. Kaur was awarded a jail term for five years for subjecting her daughter to forced abortion and also for abducting her.
Kaur was accused of murdering her daughter over her marriage with a person from a lower caste. Kaur was found guilty of forcing her daughter Harpreet to undergo an abortion in 2001. Harpreet, Kaur's 19-year-old daughter, had died under mysterious circumstances during the intervening night of April 20 and 21, 2000.
No postmortem was conducted after her family claimed there was no foul play and that Harpreet had died due to severe dehydration, vomiting and fever. She was cremated at Kaur's native Begowal village in Kapurthala. On March 30, Kaur was given a five-year sentence under section 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and other charges and was also fined Rs 5,000 by the special CBI court.
The 57-year-old minister, who was the lone woman face in the Parkash Singh Badal-led SAD-BJP government, was forced to resign as minister after her conviction.
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- Visitors Banned from Taking Photo, Video of Parliament House Complex
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Jordanian Writer Assassinated Over Controversial Cartoon
- Breaking Toon: Is Nawaz Sharif Really Sharif?
- Glad Tutak Tutak Tutiya Being Compared With Bhool Bhulaiyaa: Prabhu Deva