Baramulla firing: Police file FIR against Army
Tension is on the rise in Jammu and Kashmir over the killing of a 25-year-old protester in Baramulla allegedly by the Army.
Srinagar: Tension is on the rise in Jammu and Kashmir over the killing of a 25-year-old protester in Baramulla allegedly by the Army. The Army has denied it, but the police have filed an FIR against the unit in Baramulla.
A curfew has been clamped in 10 police station areas in Srinagar, Baramulla and Sopore. In an official statement, the Army's northern command has said, "Army reiterates that Tariq Ahmad's death could not have been caused due to the firing by the Army personnel as extreme caution was exercised by them and the fire was deliberately aimed in the air."
Meanwhile, pressure is mounting on the Omar Abdullah government and the Centre to revoke the Armed Forces Special Powers Act. Congress's Saifuddin Soz has written to the Union Home Ministry seeking the repeal.
The 25-year-old man died when protestors were demonstrating against the hanging of terrorist Afzal Guru and the suicide of a youth in Pulwama. The Opposition PDP is likely to move an adjournment motion in the state assembly over the death.
Earlier on Tuesday, Omar Abdullah broke down in the Assembly after opposition PDP confronted him over the killing of the youth in Baramulla during protests.
The PDP shouted slogans against the government in the Assembly and some of its members walked out. The Independent MLAs too demanded answers over the killing of the Baramulla youth and created a ruckus in the state legislature.
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment
- 2nd Test: Fit-Again Younis Khan Leads Pakistan's Charge Against WI
- BSF Says 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist Killed in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18