Akhilesh sacks UP minister for making sexist remarks
Raja Ram Pandey had allegedly promised to get roads in Pratapgarh constructed like cheeks of Hema Malini and Madhuri Dixit.
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Khadi and Village Industry Minister Raja Ram Pandey, who triggered a controversy by allegedly promising to get roads in Pratapgarh district constructed like cheeks of actresses Hema Malini and Madhuri Dixit, was on Saturday sacked. "Governor BL Joshi in consultation with Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has relieved minister Raja Ram Pandey from his
post from this evening," a notification signed by chief secretary Javed Usmani said.
The Chief Minister, who is already holding charge of 61 departments, has been given the additional charge of Khadi and Village industry. During his visit to Pratapgarh on Friday, Pandey had allegedly said roads would be constructed like the cheeks of actresses Hema Malini and Madhuri Dixit.
The minister's statement evoked sharp criticism from political parties and social organisations. "Such a statement is unwarranted from a person occupying an important and responsible post of a minister," BJP's chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
This is not the first time Pandey has landed himself in trouble for making such remarks. In February, the minister went overboard allegedly praising the beauty of a senior lady bureaucrat at a function in Sultanpur in her presence.
Pandey had also allegedly said that he was lucky the district also had a lady district magistrate the last time he was incharge of Sultanpur.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets